IMG Tennis Academy
Established over 40 years ago, IMG Tennis Academy program sets the standard by which all tennis academies around the world are measured and provides student-athletes with the resources they need to perform at the highest level. Student-athletes progress technically, tactically, physically, and mentally while also seeing personal growth through character development and leadership skills.
The size and depth of IMG tennis academy allows for not only a dynamic and challenging setting, but also features the most comprehensive atmosphere where individuals always have another player above and below their level with varying game styles. IMG continues to be home to the world’s top ATP/WTA players, allowing student-athletes to train within an incomparable atmosphere. Student-athletes are challenged on a daily basis to reach their full potential and to become champions on and off the court.
THE IMG TENNIS ACADEMY STANDARD
It’s the competitive atmosphere and the unmatched intensity and drive within the courts that creates such a balanced and supportive culture within IMG Tennis Academy program. IMG tennis coaches and trainers customize individual development plans and tournament schedules that set each student-athlete up for success. Paired with challenging academics, the tennis program’s college-preparatory environment offers a schedule that closely mirrors that of a collegiate program.
With structured and tangible plans in place throughout the week, student-athletes and coaches communicate regularly and build relationships that lead to unprecedented success. Student-athletes utilize video analysis to review key elements of their games as well.
Fundamental instruction and individualized on-court training in addition to internal Universal Tennis Rating (UTR) tournaments creates an ideal balance between instruction and competition. Technical and tactical elements remain the focus, along with footwork, conditioning, mental toughness, vision training, leadership, nutrition, and speed and agility training.
By creating a challenging environment that drives accountability, strength, and respect, the tennis academy continues to focus on making an impact on each individual to reach his best version as both a student and an athlete. Within the program, student-athletes have a defined development track that includes:
- Junior elite
No matter if a student-athlete aspires to join a high-level D1 program, attend a university of the highest academic regard, or compete on the ATP and ITF tours, IMG Tennis Academy program understands how to create a personalized track for every individual.
ENROLLMENT & EVALUATION PERIOD
Coaches familiarize themselves with a student-athlete’s game as much as possible during the enrollment process and begin to create a plan and training structure for each student-athlete throughout their first few weeks on campus. During that period, student-athletes and coaches will work on the below:
- A physical evaluation
- Addressing anything technical or tactical that may need improvement
- Understanding what works best for each individual and develop programs accordingly
- Competitive match play
- Progression and development from drills to competition
INDIVIDUAL, WEEKLY PLANS AT IMG TENNIS ACADEMY
Depending on a student-athlete’s upcoming tournament schedule or previous week’s play, coaches will create individual, weekly plans inclusive of in-house match play, drills and training, and performance elements like mental toughness and vision training. In-house tournaments (described below) are incorporated into weekly plans dependent on the student-athlete’s overall tournament and travel schedule.
Weekly plans incorporate the following methods:
- Establishing an objective and goal
- Coaches increasing or decreasing intensity/volume based on pre-post competition
- Situational sessions based on a student-athlete’s upcoming opponent(s)
- Coach/player meetings following the week to understand performance, next week’s focus, and next-steps for improvement
IMG TENNIS ACADEMY COLLEGE RECRUITMENT
With the continued evolvement of the game, college is a huge part of player development. The prestige of IMG’s tennis program creates an unrivaled atmosphere for the college recruitment process and offers endless opportunities both academically and athletically. No matter the path a student-athlete hopes to take, the tennis program, along with the College Planning and Placement Department, outlines a strategic plan for success at the next level, inclusive of the below:
- Standardized test prep
- College applications from enrollment in grade 9 through graduation
- Working directly with a specific college advisor to confidently reach next-level goals
- Creating recruitment videos
- Creating a list of schools that suit the student-athlete both academically and athletically
- Communication with college coaches through visits to IMG Academy, official, and unofficial visits
TOURNAMENT SCHEDULES & PROGRAM ENVIRONMENT
IMG Academy’s tennis program provides the world’s most diverse and well-rounded competition available. Student-athletes work with their coach to develop a tournament schedule that fits their level and needs, as each player’s pathway to success varies. With the ability to outline the year dependent on initial skill level, ranking, and qualifying ability, if applicable, student-athletes feel comfortable entering each tournament with a structure and a plan. Additionally, depending on the event, coaches may travel to tournaments with players. Tournament schedules may include:
- ITF Junior Entry Level, Advanced, and Pro level
- USTA (local and national)
- Junior Grand Slams
- IMG In-House Tournaments (details below)
TECHNOLOGY & FACILITIES
– 55 tennis courts (34 hard, 17 clay, and 4 indoor) – One dedicated PlaySight SmartCourt – track your practice sessions to an entirely new level with the IMG Academy PlaySight court, fully equipped with a console, video analysis and sharable content. Evaluate your game through video replay and streaming, service speeds, statistical data, tactical review, and stroke analysis. With coaches who can review the instant feedback and statistics regarding ball trajectory, movement, speed, spin and more, Play Sight aligns student-athletes with another added piece of technology to enhance on-court training.
– Tennis-specific building with coaches’ offices and rooms to analyze practice and match videos
– Covered turf facility for speed and agility training with specific coaches who focus on working with tennis players
PERFORMANCE AND SPORTS SCIENCE CENTER
- Mind Gym for mental conditioning sessions and vision training – Fit Lights, dynaBOARD, and cognitive perceptive technology
- Yoga studio
- Strength and conditioning equipment
- Classrooms for nutrition and leadership training
- Athletic training facility for recovery and regeneration, including hot and cold tubs
IMG Tennis Academy student-athletes utilize the recovery tools and techniques designed by TimTam at the on-campus Recovery Center. Their professional-grade recovery tools were tested by doctors, physios, and coaches and help take student-athletes to the next level.